With instances slowly however steadily rising over the previous month in our area, we’re taking a better take a look at what we all know concerning the state of the pandemic regionally. The underside line is that though ongoing ups and downs in COVID-19 exercise are possible, it’s finest to not change into contaminated and there are efficient methods to scale back our threat.
Right here’s a quick take a look at the present COVID-19 scenario in King County and really useful methods for anybody who needs to scale back their threat for COVID-19 and lengthy COVID, particularly folks at greater threat for extreme an infection.
A quick overview from our native knowledge
Instances are rising slowly however steadily over the previous month. In our area, the Omicron surge rose quickly in December and peaked in early January. A steep decline adopted, hitting a low level in mid-March. Since that point, instances have began to rise once more extra slowly, however are a lot decrease than the height we noticed in January.
To place our present variety of instances in perspective, on the peak of the Omicron surge, we have been seeing a median of 6,500 new instances reported day by day.
At the moment, we’re seeing a median of 484 new instances every day. That’s about 3 times the variety of instances reported on the low level we skilled a month in the past, however 7% of the quantity on the Omicron peak.
- All age teams are seeing some improve in instances, however the greatest improve is amongst younger adults 18-35 years of age, adopted by these 30-49. Charges are lowest amongst these 65 and older and kids.
- Charges are additionally at the moment greater in Seattle and the east facet of the County.
- We’re seeing will increase throughout all racial and ethnic teams. At the moment, highest charges are amongst Asian-American residents, American–Indian and Alaskan Native, and White residents.
Our present case price could be very possible an undercount of the particular degree of an infection in our neighborhood proper now. Whereas reported case numbers have all the time represented a fraction of instances in the neighborhood, the present knowledge could also be extra of an underestimate at this stage within the pandemic as extra fast at-home assessments are used and never typically reported.
Hospitalizations and deaths
Deaths and hospitalizations at the moment are similar to the bottom ranges we’ve seen in the course of the pandemic.
Because the low level of mid-March, hospitalizations stay low and similar to pre-Delta surge in June 2021. When there are small numbers, proportion will increase might look massive, so it’s necessary to take a look at the precise numbers of hospitalizations, which have been secure over the previous month at 4-6 hospitalizations day by day.
- Hospitalizations amongst these 65 and older make up almost half of all hospitalizations, with the unvaccinated at highest threat.
- Deaths proceed to lower from the Omicron peak and stay low, with lower than one demise per day over the previous 7 days. That is the bottom variety of deaths since final summer time.
- The vast majority of deaths proceed to be amongst these 65 and older.
Though our present case and hospitalization numbers put King County within the LOW COVID Neighborhood degree, it’s necessary to pay attention to rising COVID-19 developments regionally and take steps now to stop additional will increase and scale back instances as a lot as attainable, with out including any new mandates or restrictions on our actions. (Observe that there could also be variations at any given time in how CDC studies the COVID-19 Communtiy Stage in comparison with our native knowledge.)
Our neighborhood safety
A key cause there are at the moment fewer hospitalizations and deaths than beforehand within the pandemic is as a result of so many King County residents have been vaccinated and boosted.
There’s additionally some further safety from immunity after current infections that occurred in the course of the Omicron surge.
Individuals who stay at highest threat are those that are unvaccinated or not boosted, individuals who have weakened immune techniques or different underlying high-risk well being circumstances, and older adults. Study the perfect vaccine schedule for you in case you are excessive threat or underlying well being circumstances.
People who find themselves eligible for a booster however haven’t acquired it are at greater threat for an infection, hospitalization and demise when instances rise. And booster dose uptake in King County differs by race and ethnicity, age, and neighborhood.
“We may see an increase in instances that would final for a number of weeks, and though I don’t count on the extent of the rise or the variety of related hospitalizations and deaths to be as extreme as our current wintertime Omicron surge, if instances do surge, we may see an increase in hospitalizations and deaths among the many susceptible. We’re particularly involved about low booster charges and disparities in booster protection by race/ethnicity. Low booster protection may result in perpetuating the disproportionate influence the COVID-19 pandemic has already had on some communities of shade. We proceed to work with our groups to conduct outreach to communities that haven’t but been boosted.”
Dr. Jeff Duchin, Well being Officer, Public Well being – Seattle & King County
Systemic and structural inequities form who first has entry to vaccines and who has extra limitations to getting vaccinated. To deal with these inequities, Public Well being – Seattle & King County set targets to offer equitable entry to vaccine by specializing in communities which can be at highest threat for COVID, stay in areas which have had essentially the most instances and face essentially the most limitations to vaccination. Partnerships with neighborhood and outreach have been instrumental in rising vaccination.
Lengthy COVID is on our minds
Lengthy COVID (additionally referred to as post-COVID circumstances) is a complication of COVID-19 an infection that has been reported to happen in 10-30% of instances, extra typically in extreme instances, but in addition can happen in much less extreme and even gentle instances. Vaccination decreases the chance for growing lengthy COVID.
There’s a lot we don’t find out about lengthy COVID, together with how finest to diagnose and deal with it. Many individuals get well after a number of weeks to months. Nonetheless, even amongst younger, wholesome folks, lengthy COVID could be severe and longer lasting, affecting the mind and nervous system, coronary heart, lungs, and different organs; COVID-19 can even improve the chance for growing diabetes. Problem considering, weak point and different signs could make it troublesome or unimaginable to work or do different actions of day by day residing.
To lower your threat for COVID-19, together with lengthy COVID, confirmed prevention methods could make a giant distinction.
Advisable prevention methods for our present stage of the pandemic
The next methods are really useful. These methods needs to be utilized in mixture and are particularly necessary for folks at excessive threat for extreme COVID-19, people who find themselves in touch with folks at excessive threat, and anybody who needs to scale back their threat for COVID-19.
- Most necessary: Be certain you might be updated on all really useful COVID-19 vaccine doses – get boosters doses when you find yourself eligible for the perfect safety, particularly towards extreme illness.
- Take note of enhancing indoor air high quality by way of rising air flow or use of HEPA filters and different methods.
- Ask about out what’s being carried out to enhance indoor air in locations the place you spend time. If the air appears stuffy, air flow might not be good. Search for open home windows and doorways.
- Select out of doors actions and eating when attainable.
- Details about enhancing indoor air high quality is out there on Public Well being’s web site. The EPA additionally just lately launched steering to assist companies enhance indoor air high quality.
- Proper now, it’s a good suggestion to put on a high-quality (N95, KN95, KF94) and well-fitting face masks in crowded indoor areas. A high-quality masks can scale back your threat of an infection the place threat is biggest similar to at an indoor occasion in a setting with poor air flow. That is particularly necessary for people who find themselves immunocompromised or unvaccinated and people who find themselves not updated with their vaccinations (together with booster doses).
- Think about testing earlier than indoor group gatherings, particularly if high-risk individuals are current.
- Take a look at and isolate if signs develop otherwise you’ve been uncovered to somebody with COVID-19.
- In case you’ve had COVID-19, and your fever is gone and signs enhancing, think about testing in case you are leaving isolation earlier than day 10. And please, bear in mind to proceed to put on a well-fitting masks by way of day 10.
Whereas we are able to’t predict the long run course of the pandemic, together with whether or not or how a lot instances will proceed to rise or when they might fall, we all know stopping instances by way of layered prevention methods will help people keep protected and wholesome and reduce the chance for surges.
Initially printed April 12, 2022.